knot another hat

adventures in owning a hip and knitworthy yarn store

6.23.2006

Hip, hip, hooray!

The website is live! And it's beautiful! But don't take my word for it - go see for yourself!

In other news, it's newsletter time. Here is the first installment of the letter from me, which will be a feature in all newsletters from now on:

Letter from Sarah

When I sat down to prepare this month’s newsletter, I felt that something was missing from the current format. I brainstormed all of the different announcements, sound bites, etc that I wanted to include, but it didn’t feel like enough. Finally it dawned on me: I wanted to communicate more with you all, my customers, and to share more with everyone about our shared craft, or art as I prefer to think of it. And so begins the first Letter from Sarah.

Why do I say that what we do is art, rather than craft? Let’s think about art for a minute: art brings us inspiration; art provides peace and relaxation; art stimulates; art highlights creativity; art is therapy; art leaves legacies behind for those who will come after us. Doesn’t knitting also do all of those things? We each knit to satisfy something inside of us, the same something that compels a painter to paint, or a sculptor to sculpt. In the case of Sabrina, the owner of So Much Fun next door to the store, it is what compels her to knit a giant-sized cupcake ottoman. Stop by and see her progress and marvel at her version of knitting art. Take a moment to think about your art, what it means to you, and the role it plays in your life.

On that note, I would like to encourage everyone to take the next step in their knitting. For some that means trying circular needles for the first time; for others it might mean adapting a sweater pattern to better fit their individual body. Whatever your next step is, think about the rewards you’ll reap by taking that leap and broadening your knitting range. As the knitting “boom” plateaus, or even subsides somewhat, we all are challenged to find ways to maintain the excitement of our knitting. I personally believe nothing can do that better than finding a way to learn more, try something new, take on a challenge, step on up to the plate. For me, I plan to knit more sweaters, and knit them to fit. That means paying more attention to finished dimensions, and planning accordingly. Come on in and have a chat—I’d love to talk to you about the next step in your knitting.

Happy knotting,
Sarah

1 Comments:

At 11:53 AM, Blogger Jen Hagan said...

Sarah! The site update looks fabulous! Great job!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home