knot another hat

adventures in owning a hip and knitworthy yarn store

4.05.2006

Two Finished Scarves, aka Why I Hate Knitting Scarves


First: The dreaded cabled scarf. This $#(*&^ project sat on my needles for way too long. I think I started it back in September, thinking it would show off the Cascade Indulgence yarn. Indulgence is beautiful and soft, and made of alpaca and angora. However, it is the dreaded "sport" weight, and getting people to knit on needles smaller than 9s is hard work! So, I doubled the yarn and knit this cabled scarf on 11s (took 4 balls).

It turned out beautifully, and I don't have any reasons to explain why it took so damn long, except that I think I just get mental blocks about knitting scarves. Which brings me to exhibit #2:








The Fiesta Rayon Bouclé scarf. I did this scarf to [surprise] show off the Fiesta Rayon Bouclé. I think I cast on about 120 stitches onto a size 10 circular, and knit it horizontally. Nothing fancy. It looks great. But, again, hated doing it. B O R I N G. That's what it boils down to. And this Fiesta yarn just goes and goes and goes and goes and goes. I swear that was the never-ending skein of yarn. I have to say, though, that horizontal works so great for the hand-dyes, b/c the color striations look so cool when it's done.


Let's see - oh - I got past the heel on the Cherry Tree hill socks and realized I wasn't going to have enough yarn (b/c of the cabled and moss stitch pattern, I suppose). So I pulled out the heel and did it in a contrast color, and will do the toe in it as well. I think that's the only way to make it go far enough. I'll get a pic up as soon as I finish the first one.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home